Monday, October 8, 2007

Still...

Been announcing all around of our impending departure and generally got 2 kinds of reaction -

1. So soon? But you just got here/got yourself settled!
2. Your husband must be very happy!!

Let me tell you why people make those remarks -

For reaction no 1 - Overseas postings are usually for at least 3 years. We've been here slightly more than 2 years.Then, in the setting that I work in - WTO - people like me, from a developing country... muslim...pakai tudung...mummy of four...it takes a while to be "accepted", so to speak. I think, with all those "baggages" I had to work harder to be taken seriously and to be included in professional and social events. In my mind..I have managed to do so...but only after almost a year! Thats why my working colleagues from other countries felt that they've just gotten to know me! Well...too bad for them, I suppose...sapa suruh judge a book by its cover, kan!

Still...its been good for me. ALL my life I've wanted to work overseas..in international setting and this posting was most definitely a dream come true. Professionally, I've enjoyed every minute! The meetings..the negotiations...the working and non-working lunches (especially!!)...they were good experiences ...

So, I patut bersyukur coz I was given this chance..albeit for a short time...to taste my dreams...and at least dapat rasa duduk overseas and get to see bits of the world with Abah and the girls...still...

For reaction no 2 - Abah has made known to ALL who'd listen that coming here was a mistake, as far as he is concerned. Well...minus all the trips that we've taken! He (and I) discovered that being an at home dad 24/7 is definitely not his cup of tea... or coffee...or milo! He's been miserable but stuck with us because of the commitments he made..and his promise to support this decision and my career whilst we are here. Still...

So...Abah's misery is about to end and to a large extent, I'm happy for him and I thank him for the sacrifices he made...Still....

Ahhh..there's also a 3rd reaction - one that i like the best -
"we'd have to arrange a farewell do for you"!! yay...free makan!!

No comments: